General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Applications have been opened for the construction, welding, and 12 Plus programs for next school year. Students should check their emails or pick up an application in the counseling office if you are interested. Applications are due in the counseling office by Monday, 4/3/17 if a student will be considered for one of these programs.
- Best of luck to the varsity girls track team as they travel to the Galesburg Indoor meet tomorrow at Monmouth College. Events start at 9:00 AM.
- Bloodhound cheerleading tryouts are fast approaching! Try-out practices will occur on Monday, 3/27/17, and Tuesday, 3/28/17 from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. Try-outs will be at 5:30 PM on Wednesday, 3/28/17.
- Southeastern Community College (SCC) will have a representative here during B lunch on Thursday. If you would like to learn more about SCC please stop by their table at that time.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The FMHS kitchen is looking for volunteers to help with the service of food from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM daily. If you are interested, please see Ms. Hayler in the main office.
- The West Point Community Club is looking for volunteers to help clean up the roadside on Saturday, 4/1/17. Students interested in gaining volunteer hours or who just want to help can meet William Wuard at the shelter house in West Point Park at 9:00 AM. Gloves and bags will be provided.
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please email Ms. Shelly Hoenig at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping out.
- Happy birthday to Jeremy Fink and Emma Rose from Saturday.
- Happy birthday to MacKenzie Hailey and Benjamin Humphrey from Sunday
- Happy birthday to Chandler Birdsong and Kali Maestro.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays)
- Happy un-birthday to Veronica Diaz, Sophia Keenan, and Abigail Martinez (July 18).
- Mandarin chicken or pepperoni bread;
- Celery sticks and/or winter blend vegetables;
- Pineapple and/or peaches.
Word of the Day: Effulgence – noun [ih-full-junss]
- Brilliant splendor. As in:
- Diamonds are not full of effulgence until they are cut.
This Day in History: 1965 – President Lyndon Johnson notifies anti-integrationist Governor of Alabama, George Wallace, that he will use federal authority to call up the Alabama National Guard to supervise a planned civil rights march led by Martin Luther King, Jr. from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama.
Fact of the Day: The clash between President Johnson and George Wallace-and Johnson’s decisive action-was an important turning point in the civil rights movement. Within months, Congress had passed the Voting Rights Act, which Johnson proudly signed into law in August of 1965.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? In 1912, a law was passed in Nebraska that required drivers who were driving at night to stop every 150 yards, send up a skyrocket, wait eight minutes for the road to clear before proceeding cautiously, all while honking their horn and shooting off flares every 50 yards.