General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Great River Health Systems is currently accepting applications for the 2017 summer junior volunteer program. If you are interested in volunteering at Great River Health Systems, please visit Great River Medical for more information and application.
- Burlington High School is holding their 29th Annual Dragon Boat Races in May. The team deadline for registration is tomorrow. Students and staff who might be interested in this event can stop by the guidance office for more information.
- Student government will be selling gold coins today for St. Patrick’s Day. Delivery will occur tomorrow. Gold coins can be purchased in the MPR during lunch.
- The Keokuk Fine Arts Council is hosting their annual high school art show in the Round Room at the Keokuk Library. Congratulations to the following FMHS students, who were awarded 3rd place in the following categories:
- Watercolor: Johnny Specht.
- 3-Dimensional: Olivia Williams.
- Drawing: Chyanne Loffler.
- Other FMHS students exhibiting work in the Round Room are: Cortnee LeMoyne; Kaela Baker; Alexis Sommers; Cameron Kempker; Jillian Wiseman, Carlee Keenan; and Catarina Rogers.
- The exhibit is on view through Sunday and will close with a public reception at 2:30 PM for the artists.
- Applications have been opened for the construction, welding, and 12 Plus programs for next school year. Students should check their emails or pick up an application in the counseling office if you are interested. Applications are due in the counseling office by Monday, 4/3/17 if a student will be considered for one of these programs.
- Southeastern Community College (SCC) will have a representative here during B lunch on Thursday, 3/23/17. If you would like to learn more about SCC please stop by their table at that time.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please email Ms. Shelly Hoenig at email@example.com if you are interested in helping out.
- Happy birthday to Nathan Benge, Hailey Gilman, Emily Shepler, and Courtney Smith.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays)
- Happy un-birthday to Jayla Ellefritz and Dakota Leonard (July 16).
- Hot BBQ chicken sandwich or loaded baked potato;
- Broccoli and/or country blend vegetables;
- Strawberries and/or apricots.
Word of the Day: Archaic – adjective [are-kay-ick]
- Relating to, or characteristic of, an earlier time period. As in:
- Archaic tools were made of stone.
This Day in History: 1802 – The US Military Academy, the first military school in US history, is founded by Congress for the purpose of training and educating young men in military science.
Fact of the Day: The US Military Academy was established at West Point, the site of a Revolutionary-era fort built to protect New York from the British. The Academy is often simply known as “West Point”.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? 315 entries in the 1996 version of Webster’s Dictionary were misspelled.