General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Congratulations to Bryanna Swyter. She has won the IHSBA Reading promotion in the library this week.
- Burlington High School is holding their 29th Annual Dragon Boat Races in May. The team deadline for registration is this Friday. Students and staff who might be interested in this event can stop by the guidance office for more information.
- Student government will be selling gold coins during lunch today through Thursday for St. Patrick’s Day. Delivery will occur on Friday. Gold coins can be purchased in the MPR during lunch.
- The Keokuk Fine Arts Council is hosting their annual high school art show in the Round Room at the Keokuk Library. Congratulations to the following FMHS students, who were awarded 3rd place in the following categories:
- Watercolor: Johnny Specht.
- 3-Dimensional: Olivia Williams.
- Drawing: Chyanne Loffler.
- Other FMHS students exhibiting work in the Round Room are: Cortnee LeMoyne; Kaela Baker; Alexis Sommers; Cameron Kempker; Jillian Wiseman, Carlee Keenan; and Catarina Rogers.
- The exhibit is on view through Sunday, 3/19/17 and will close with a public reception at 2:30 PM for the artists.
- Applications have been opened for the construction, welding, and 12 Plus programs for next school year. Students should check their emails or pick up an application in the counseling office if you are interested. Applications are due in the counseling office by Monday, 4/3/17 if a student will be considered for one of these programs.
- Spring sports are getting underway. It’s not too late to get involved. Contact Mr. Mitchell or Ms. Wiseman in the office if you are interested in participating in a spring sport and need contact information.
- Southeastern Community College (SCC) will have a representative here during B lunch on Thursday, 3/23/17. If you would like to learn more about SCC please stop by their table at that time.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please email Ms. Shelly Hoenig at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping out.
- Happy birthday to Jared Kester.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays)
- Happy un-birthday to Matthew Jones (July 15).
- Corn dog or pretzel w/ cheese;
- Baked beans and/or corn;
- Baked apples and/or tropical fruit;
- March birthday treats.
Word of the Day: Partake – verb [par-take]
- To take part in or experience something along with others. As in:
- We were invited to partake in track and field.
This Day in History: 44 BC – Julius Caesar, the “Dictator for Life” of the Roman empire, is murdered by his own senators, including his own protege, Marcus Brutus.
Fact of the Day: Caesar’s assassination led to 14 years of civil war in Rome. Many of the senators who partook in Caesar’s death later committed suicide rather than face capture and punishment from Caesar’s adopted son, Octavian, who would become known as Caesar Augustus.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? A flea can jump 350 times its body length. If a human could do the same, we’d be able to jump the length of a football field.