General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Sophomores and Juniors – The Fort Madison Rotary Club is looking to sponsor two students who would like to attend the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) Conference this summer. If you have a 3.25 GPA or higher, have not had a good conduct violation, and would like to learn more about leadership, please stop in the guidance office for more information.
- Sophomores, Juniors & Seniors – The Fort Madison Rotary Club is looking to sponsor a student who would like to attend the 2017 World Affairs Seminar in Waukesha, Wisconsin this summer. If you have a 3.25 GPA or higher, have not had a good conduct violation, and would like to learn more about leadership, please stop in the guidance office for more information.
- According to CNBC News, the average cost of a high school yearbook is between $65 and $100. You can purchase yours for as little as $45. Your parents should have received two order forms by now, but you can still pick up and order form in room 303. See Ms. Brownlee for more information.
- Applications have been opened for the construction, welding, and 12 Plus programs for next school year. Students should check their emails or pick up an application in the counseling office if you are interested. Applications are due in the counseling office by Monday, 4/3/17 if a student will be considered for one of these programs.
- Student government will be hosting the 2nd annual blind volleyball tournament on Tuesday, 3/14/17 at 6:00 PM. The cost to participate is $30.00 per team. Students in grades 7-12 and adults are welcome to play. Get your team together and come out for some fun. A prize will be awarded to the 1st place team. Sign-up sheets are available in the guidance office through Ms. Harter or in the main office through Ms. Jones.
- Karl Stern from Jostens will be here on Tuesday, 3/14/17 during lunch to pass out graduation materials to senior students.
- Students and teachers: please find time in your busy schedules to complete this survey sometime before 3/31/17. The input will help our IT department determine the effectiveness of technology in our school. Thanks!
- Girls soccer season starts on Monday, 3/20/17. The pre-season meeting will be held in the media center at 6:00 PM on Sunday, 3/12/17. The meeting is mandatory for anyone wishing to play girls soccer. Managers and those interested in finding out more about the program should also attend. See Coach Seifert or Coach Burken in room 316 with questions.
- There will be a short meeting in room 314 (Mr. Ehlers’s room) on Monday, 3/13/17 for those interested in joining the golf team this year. Practice will also start on that day.
- There will be a tennis meeting in the MPR at 2:00 PM tomorrow for anyone wishing to participate in boys tennis. Coach Hogan asks that you have physicals completed before the meeting.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please email Ms. Shelly Hoenig at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping out.
- Happy birthday to Brenden Hay and Taylor-Ann McGee.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays)
- Happy un-birthday to Jonathan Specht (July 8).
- Rib patty or spicy chicken sandwich;
- Glazed carrots and/or cheesy broccoli;
- Peaches and/or pineapple.
Word of the Day: Unanimous – adjective [you-nana-muss]
- Being of one mind. As in:
- The judges made a unanimous ruling.
This Day in History: 1971 – Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier meet for the “Fight of the Century” at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
Fact of the Day: In the “Fight of the Century” Frazier would win by unanimous decision, retaining his heavyweight title. Frazier knocked Ali to the mat for the first time in his career and delivered Ali the first loss of his career.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? If Barbie were life size she would be seven feet, two inches tall.