General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Karl Stern from Jostens will be here on Tuesday, 3/14/17 during lunch to pass out graduation materials to senior students.
- Congratulations to Jayla Ellefritz, who won the IHSBA reading promotion this past week. The first Makerspace Challenge will begin on Wednesday and will run the entire month of March. The challenge is book art. See Ms. Puga or Ms. Jackson for more details.
- The annual badminton tournament will be on Monday, 3/6/17 starting at 4:00 PM in the FMHS gym. The tournament is a doubles tournament and all staff and students of FMHS are welcome to play. The tournament will be a double-elimination format and prizes will be awarded. You can sign up with Mr. Huckabone or Ms. Knustrom. Practice time will be available in the mornings in the gym starting on Tuesday, 2/21/17.
- Students and teachers: please find time in your busy schedules to complete this survey sometime before 3/31/17. The input will help our IT department determine the effectiveness of technology in our school. Thanks!
Volunteer Hours Available:
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please email Ms. Shelly Hoenig at email@example.com if you are interested in helping out.
- Simpson College will have a representative at FMHS tomorrow during lunch. If you would like to learn more about Simpson, please visit their table during lunch.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Alec Craft (June 29).
- Happy un-birthday to Britney Sanford (June 30).
- Burrito or mini corn dogs;
- Refried beans and/or corn;
- Applesauce and/or fruit cocktail;
Word of the Day: Deoxyribonucleic Acid – noun [dee-en-eh]
- A substance that carries the genetic information in the cells of plants and animals. As in:
- DNA does not exist in red blood cells.
This Day in History: 1953 – Cambridge University scientists James Watson and Frances Crick announce they have determined the exact chemical structure of DNA.
Fact of the Day: DNA was discovered in 1869. It’s crucial role in determining genetic inheritance wasn’t demonstrated until 1943, though. It took an additional 10 years to fully understand its makeup.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Black History month started as a week of celebrating African Americans in 1926. It became a month-long celebration in 1976. The month of February was chosen to coincide with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.