General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The annual badminton tournament will be on Monday, 3/6/17 starting at 4:00 PM in the FMHS gym. The tournament is a doubles tournament and all staff and students of FMHS are welcome to play. The tournament will be a double-elimination format and prizes will be awarded. You can sign up with Mr. Huckabone or Ms. Knustrom. Practice time will be available in the mornings in the gym starting on Tuesday, 2/21/17.
- NHS will be concluding their penny drive for the Leukemia Foundation today. The teacher with the most money this afternoon will sing Karaoke at the assembly today. There’s still time to vote for your favorite teacher!
- Students: please look at your trimester 3 schedules now in PowerSchool. If you are in need of a schedule change, you need to stop by the guidance office and schedule an appointment with your counselor. All schedule changes must be completed by Tuesday, 2/21/17.
- The FMHS Key Club will be hosting a blood drive and rummage sale tomorrow from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Both events will be held at FMHS. To sign up to donate blood, please go to www.bloodcenterimpact.org or contact Ms. Sarah Kohl in the guidance office. The Key Club is in need of gently used items for donation. Please, no TVs, electronics, broken toys, or undergarments. If you have items to donate to the rummage sale or are interested in information about the blood drive or rummage sale, please see Ms. Sarah Kohl in the guidance office or Ms. Shalisse Johnstun in room 305.
- Students and teachers: please find time in your busy schedules to complete this survey sometime before 3/31/17. The input will help our IT department determine the effectiveness of technology in our school. Thanks!
- Kirkwood Community College will have a representative at FMHS during today. If you would like to learn more about Kirkwood, please stop by their table in the MPR during lunch.
- Happy birthday to Ashlynn Hayes.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthdays to Dravon Hauck, Bailey Kempker, Cameron Newkirk, Kylee Newkirk, Logan Rashid, and Faith Vessel (June 17).
- Hot dog or Reubens;
- Baked beans and/or French fries;
- Pineapple and/or applesauce.
Word of the Day: Accord – noun [uh-cord]
- An agreement or mutual understanding. As in:
- The jury reached an accord on the defendant’s guilt .
This Day in History: 1820 – The Senate passed the Missouri Compromise, which officially made Missouri and Maine states, and also prohibited slavery in all future western states north of latitude 36°30′.
Fact of the Day: The compromise in admitting the state of Missouri in 1820 would repeat itself in whether or not to allow slavery in the states of Texas, Kansas, and Nebraska, eventually igniting the Civil War.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Black soldiers were permitted to join the Union Army in the Civil War in 1863. Scholars believe this infusion of soldiers turned the tide of the war, ensuring a Union victory.