General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The annual badminton tournament will be on Monday, 3/6/17 starting at 4:00 PM in the FMHS gym. The tournament is a doubles tournament and all staff and students of FMHS are welcome to play. The tournament will be a double-elimination format and prizes will be awarded. You can sign up with Mr. Huckabone or Ms. Knustrom. Practice time will be available in the mornings in the gym starting on Tuesday, 2/21/17.
- NHS will be conducting a penny drive all week to raise money for the Leukemia Foundation. They will have a table set up in the MPR during lunch each day with buckets which will have teacher’s names on them. The teacher with the most money on Friday will sing Karaoke at the assembly that day. Go vote for your favorite teacher!
- Students: please look at your trimester 3 schedules now in PowerSchool. If you are in need of a schedule change, you need to stop by the guidance office and schedule an appointment with your counselor. All schedule changes must be completed by Tuesday, 2/21/17.
- The FMHS Key Club will be hosting a blood drive and rummage sale on Saturday from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Both events will be held at FMHS. To sign up to donate blood, please go to www.bloodcenterimpact.org or contact Ms. Sarah Kohl in the guidance office. The Key Club is in need of gently used items for donation. Please, no TVs, electronics, broken toys, or undergarments. If you have items to donate to the rummage sale or are interested in information about the blood drive or rummage sale, please see Ms. Sarah Kohl in the guidance office or Ms. Shalisse Johnstun in room 305.
- Students and teachers: please find time in your busy schedules to complete this survey sometime before 3/31/17. The input will help our IT department determine the effectiveness of technology in our school. Thanks!
- Kirkwood Community College will have a representative at FMHS during lunch on Friday. If you would like to learn more about Kirkwood, please stop by their table in the MPR during lunch.
- Happy belated birthday to Aysa Kettle, who was unintentionally omitted from the list of birthdays yesterday.
- Happy birthday to Chance Horton and Sierra Howardson.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Julia Blakeman (June 15).
- Spaghetti or tater to casserole;
- Green beans and/or baby carrots;
- Mandarin oranges and/or tropical fruit;
- Bread stick.
Word of the Day: Derivative – adjective [duh-rivet-iv]
- Something that is based on or from another source. As in:
- Peanut butter is a derivative of the peanut.
This Day in History: 1898 – A massive explosion sinks the battleship USS Maine in Cuba’s Havana Harbor, killing 260 of the 400 American crew members aboard.
Fact of the Day: As a result of the US victory in the Spanish-American War in 1898, which was ignited by the sinking of the USS Maine, the US gained control over the former Spanish possessions of Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines. In 1976, a team of naval investigators concluded the USS Maine explosion was likely caused by a fire that ignited its ammunition stocks, not by a Spanish mine or act of sabotage.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? George Washington Carver was an African American botanist and inventor who lived from 1860 to 1943. Carver developed 300 derivative products from peanuts, among them cheese, milk, coffee, flour, ink, dyes, plastics, wood stains, soap, linoleum, medicinal oils, and cosmetics.