General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Ms. Neff will be holding a meeting in room 102 immediately after school today for anyone interested in establishing an art club at FMHS.
- NHS will be conducting a penny drive all week to raise money for the Leukemia Foundation. They will have a table set up in the MPR during lunch each day with buckets which will have teacher’s names on them. The teacher with the most money on Friday will sing Karaoke at the assembly that day. Go vote for your favorite teacher!
- The spring session of driver’s education is now full. If you have already turned your form in you will be in the spring session. If you have yet to turn a form in you will need to register for the summer session. The guidance office will make notifications once summer forms have been received.
- Students: please look at your trimester 3 schedules now in PowerSchool. If you are in need of a schedule change, you need to stop by the guidance office and schedule an appointment with your counselor. All schedule changes must be completed by Tuesday, 2/21/17.
- The FMHS Key Club will be hosting a blood drive and rummage sale on Saturday from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Both events will be held at FMHS. To sign up to donate blood, please go to www.bloodcenterimpact.org or contact Ms. Sarah Kohl in the guidance office. The Key Club is in need of gently used items for donation. Please, no TVs, electronics, broken toys, or undergarments. If you have items to donate to the rummage sale or are interested in information about the blood drive or rummage sale, please see Ms. Sarah Kohl in the guidance office or Ms. Shalisse Johnstun in room 305.
- Students and teachers: please find time in your busy schedules to complete this survey sometime before 3/31/17. The input will help our IT department determine the effectiveness of technology in our school. Thanks!
- Kirkwood Community College will have a representative at FMHS during lunch on Friday. If you would like to learn more about Kirkwood, please stop by their table in the MPR during lunch.
- Happy birthday to Madeline Sadler.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthdays to Julia Honadel and Braxtyn McGhghy (June 14).
- Chicken nuggets or Salisbury steak;
- Mashed potatoes and/or potato salad;
- Applesauce and/or peaches;
Word of the Day: Carceral – adjective [car-suh-ruhl]
- Of, relating to, or suggesting a jail or prison. As in:
- The carceral state in the US is troublesome.
This Day in History: 278 – St. Valentine, a holy priest in Rome, is executed by beheading for continuing to perform marriage ceremonies, despite Emperor Claudius banning all marriages and engagements.
Fact of the Day: Valentine’s Day has been celebrated in different parts of the world dating back to 496, when Pope Gelasius declared February 14 to be set aside in the honor of St. Valentine. The exchanging of small tokens of affection or handwritten notes is relatively new.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Shirley Chisholm became the first African American woman elected to the House of Representatives in 1968. Four years later she became the first major party African American candidate, and first female candidate for president of the United States.