General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Students: please look at your trimester 3 schedules now in PowerSchool. If you are in need of a schedule change, you need to stop by the guidance office and schedule an appointment with your counselor. All schedule changes must be completed by Tuesday, 2/21/17.
- The FMHS Key Club will be hosting a blood drive and rummage sale on Saturday, 2/18/17 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Both events will be held at FMHS. To sign up to donate blood, please go to www.bloodcenterimpact.org or contact Ms. Sarah Kohl in the guidance office. The Key Club is in need of gently used items for donation. Please, no TVs, electronics, broken toys, or undergarments. If you have items to donate to the rummage sale or are interested in information about the blood drive or rummage sale, please see Ms. Sarah Kohl in the guidance office or Ms. Shalisse Johnstun in room 305.
- Students and teachers: please find time in your busy schedules to complete this survey sometime before 3/31/17. The input will help our IT department determine the effectiveness of technology in our school. Thanks!
- Good luck to the JV girls and varsity boys and girls basketball teams as they travel to Fairfield this evening to take on the Trojans. Games start at 4:45 PM.
- Best of luck to the freshmen boys basketball team as they travel to Iowa City tomorrow to compete in the Iowa City High Invite.
- Good luck to the wrestlers tomorrow as they head to Mount Pleasant to qualify for the state wrestling tournament next week.
- Kirkwood Community College will have a representative at FMHS during lunch on Friday, 2/17/17. If you would like to learn more about Kirkwood, please stop by their table in the MPR during lunch.
- Happy birthday to Cassie Landrum.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthdays to Megan Deacon, Cameron Lurvey, Mariah Miller, and Brandon Reed (June 10).
- Sloppy joe or oven-baked chicken;
- Cole slaw and/or country-blend vegetables;
- Applesauce and/or tropical fruit.
Word of the Day: Impugn – verb [im-pyun]
- To attack as false or lacking integrity. As in:
- Politicians impugn one another constantly.
This Day in History: 1996 – World chess champion Garry Kasporov loses the first game of a six-game match against Deep Blue, an IBM computer capable of evaluating 200 million moves per second. Amazingly, Kasporov was ultimately victorious over Deep Blue, with three wins and two ties.
Fact of the Day: Garry Kasporov would face four different computer versions of “Deep Blue” in his time as world champion, winning one, tying in two, and losing in one. Kasporov retired from professional chess in 2005.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Jack Johnson became the first African-American man to hold the World Heavyweight Champion in boxing in 1908. He held the belt until 1915.