General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Attention freshmen, sophomores, and juniors: FMHS will take Iowa Assessments Wednesday through Friday next week, February 1st through 3rd. Testing will begin promptly at 8:15 AM each day. Testing will end at 9:10 AM and regular classes will begin at 9:15 AM on Wednesday, and 10:15 AM on Thursday and Friday. Please get a good night’s rest and eat a healthy breakfast each day. You will need to bring a calculator on Thursday February 2nd if you wish to use one on the math assessment. If you have questions, please ask them in the guidance office.
- Attention seniors: FMHS will take Iowa Assessments Wednesday through Friday next week, February 1st through 3rd. FMHS will operate on a 1-hour late start schedule next Wednesday, meaning you will not need to report to school until 9:10 AM next Wednesday. FMHS will operate on a 2-hour late start schedule next Thursday and Friday, meaning you will not need to report to school until 10:10 AM next Thursday and Friday. Please refer to the Bell Schedule for late start timelines. The 1-hour and 2-hour bell schedules are highlighted green.
- The Lee County Soil & Water Conservation is holding a poster contest for students in grades grades K-12. The theme is “Healthy Soils Are Full of Life”. If you are interested in participating, please stop by the guidance office for more information.
- Congratulations to Nakia Ross. Nakia’s name was drawn in the “Reading the Book Awards Books” contest! We still have a basket full and will be drawing again in two weeks. It’s not too late to enter! Do so in the library with Ms. Puga or Ms. Jackson.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- Mr. Mike Killoren of Fort Madison is completing a historical documentary about the 125 years of paper manufacturing in Fort Madison and is in need of several students to serve as “continuity persons” throughout the video that will be created. Scripts will be provided. The finished documentary will be sold through the North Lee County Historical Society. If you are interested please email email@example.com or see Mr. Smith in the office.
- Happy birthdays from Saturday to Jassmine Bass, Nicole DiPrima, and Chase Harkey.
- Happy birthdays from Sunday to Devin Beckert, Shelby Wright, Ms. Malissa Nelson, and Mr. Doug Radra.
- Happy birthdays to Matthew Meierotto and Ms. Karen Wallett.
- Chicken fajita or quesadilla;
- Broccoli and/or Spanish rice;
- Fruit cocktail and/or peach crisp.
Word of the Day: Aerodynamic – adjective [air-oh-die-nam-ick]
- The qualities of an object that affect how easily it is able to move through air. As in:
- Vehicle manufacturers test all of their products for proper aerodynamics.
This Day in History: 1957 – Machines at the Wham-O toy company roll out the first batch of their aerodynamic plastic discs, now known to millions of fans all over the world as Frisbees.
Fact of the Day: High school students i n Maplewood, New Jersey invented Ultimate Frisbee, a cross between football, soccer, and basketball, in 1967. The inventor of the modern Frisbee, Ed Headrick, invented Frisbee Golf in 1974.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Tiger pup sharks fight and eat each other in the womb until only one shark pup is left to be born.