General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- A reminder for all young men at FMHS: as an adult male in the United States you are required by law to register with the Selective Service System. Please stop by the guidance office if you need more information.
- The guidance office has applications available for female students interested in becoming the Lee County Fair Queen. Please stop by if you are interested.
- Good luck to the JV girls and varsity boys and girls basketball teams tonight as they host the Chiefs of Keokuk in the Hound Dome. Games tip off at 4:45 PM.
- Best of luck to the JV wrestlers as they travel along highway 2 to grapple in the Centerville Invite this evening. Wrestling starts at 5:30 PM.
- Good luck to the varsity wrestlers as they compete in the Cedar Rapids Jefferson Invite tomorrow. Matches start at 10:00 AM.
- Best of luck to the JV and varsity girls basketball teams as they host the Titans of Monmouth-Roseville, Illinois Saturday evening. Tip off is 5:00 PM.
- Beef nachos or crispidos;
- Refried beans and/or corn;
- Apricots and/or applesauce.
Word of the Day: Correlation – noun [core-uh-lay-shun]
- Mutual relation; similarity. As in:
- There is a strong correlation between studying and receiving good grades.
This Day in History: 1966 – President Lyndon B. Johnson appoints the first African-American cabinet member, making Robert C. Weaver head of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Fact of the Day: Fittingly, Alfred Hitchcock, the “Master of Suspense” was born on Friday, August 13, 1899.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? A 2011 German study published in the World Journal of Surgery found absolutely no correlation between the incidence of bad luck and Friday the 13th, stating “our data indicate that such beliefs and myths are far beyond reality.”