General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Yearbooks will be on sale for $45 in the MPR during lunch beginning Monday. Yearbooks will be on sale through Thursday, December 22nd.
- In an effort to raise money for the veterans of our community, student government will be fundraising to present them with a check at the veteran’s assembly on December 22nd. The following opportunities will be available on December 14th:
- 50/50 raffle during lunch with half of the proceeds going to the veterans and half to the winner.
- $1 hat day – students may pay a dollar to wear a hat. Money will be required beforehand and the student’s hand stamped for this to occur.
- $5 teacher jean day – teachers may pay five dollars to wear jeans (with a FMHS polo).
- The student government will be sponsoring an “ugly sweater” day on Thursday, December 22nd.
- The Food Pantry in Fort Madison is trying to collect 300 jars of peanut butter to add to Christmas baskets this year. If you would like to participate, please bring your jar of peanut butter to the front office by Wednesday, December 14th.
- Good luck to the boys basketball teams as they travel to Centerville this evening to take on the Big Red. Games start at 4:45 PM.
- Best of luck to the JV and varsity basketball teams as they host Van Buren tonight at the Hound Dome.
- Good luck to the JV wrestlers as they travel south to the Keokuk Invite tomorrow. Wrestling starts at 10:00 AM.
- Best of luck to the varsity wrestlers as they head north to the Mediapolis Invite tomorrow. Wrestling starts at 10:00 AM.
- Good luck to the freshmen girls and boys basketball teams as they travel to Burlington to take on the Greyhounds. Tip off is at 10:00 AM.
- Best of luck to the boys and girls JV and varsity basketball teams as they take their talents to Burlington Notre Dame tomorrow evening. The litany of games begin at 4:30 PM.
- Happy birthdays to Johanna Comeaux, Dante Eid, Gracie Gobble, and Ms. Rae Fedler.
- Corn and/or refried beans;
- Mandarin oranges and/or tropical fruit.
Word of the Day: Litany – noun [lit-uh-knee]
- A sizable series or set. As in:
- The team blamed their losses on a litany of injuries.
This Day in History: 1983 – Al Pacino stars as a Cuban migrant crime boss in the movie Scarface. The movie proved to be a box-office hit and has gone on to achieve pop-culture status.
Fact of the Day: The 1983 movie Scarface was inspired by a movie from 1932 of the same name. The 1932 version is based in Chicago and based on the life of Chicago crime boss Al Capone.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? If you start counting at one and spell the numbers as you go, you won’t use the letter “A” until you reach 1,000 (one thousand).