General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Finals are on Wednesday and Thursday. It is your responsibility to know class times on those days. Excusals will not be granted because due diligence wasn’t taken.
- Girl Scout Troop 9282 will be collecting books for Christmas for Kids. Please take any new or gently-used books you would like to donate to the guidance office through the end of November.
- Student government will be collecting bottle caps for a local girl scout troop which will be used to construct a new park bench for veterans. There will be collection bins around school and several in the MPR during lunch. Bottle caps will be collected until Thanksgiving break.
- Happy birthdays from Saturday to to Tiffanee Hart and Ariel Scott.
- Happy birthday from Sunday to Bailey Murphy.
- Popcorn chicken or turkey fritter;
- Au gratin potatoes and/or glazed carrots;
- Peaches and/or tropical fruit;
- Dinner roll.
Word of the Day: Ukase – noun [yoo-KAYSS]
- A proclamation having the force of law. As in:
- The Supreme Court issued a ukase on abortion in their Roe v. Wade decision in 1973.
This Day in History (TDIH): 1851 – Moby-Dick, a novel by Herman Melville about the voyage of the whaling ship Pequod, is published by Harper & Brothers in New York.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): Moby-Dick is considered a literary classic today. After it was published in 1851, though, it was considered a commercial failure and out of print at the time of Melville’s death in 1891. It later witnessed a revival which led to its fame.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Handshakes were originally meant to assure the person you were meeting wasn’t carrying a concealed weapon. The hand clasp proved that your hand was empty and the shaking was meant to dislodge any weapons hiding in the sleeve.