General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Statewide results for the Iowa Youth Straw Poll are as follows:
- US PRESIDENT:
- Donald Trump – 46%
- Hillary Clinton – 36%
- Gary Johnson – 7%
- US SENATE:
- Charles Grassley – 62%
- Patty Judge – 25%
- Charles Aldrich – 5%
- Jim Hennager – 5%
- US REPRESENTATIVE, DISTRICT 2:
- Dave Loebsack – 50%
- Christopher Peters – 50%
- Loebsack leads by 4 total votes.
- US PRESIDENT:
- Finals will be administered on Wednesday, November 16th and Thursday, November 17th. Please be sure to refer to the finals schedule on the second page of the Bell Schedule to determine when and where you should be for those finals.
- DECA will be hosting dress up days for DECA week, which runs from November 7-11, 2016. The dress up days are as follows:
- Monday – Sponsorship Day (wear clothing that sponsors local stores and businesses);
- Tuesday – College Day;
- Wednesday – DECA “Wear Pink” Day;
- Thursday – Business Casual Day;
- Friday – DCA “Wear Blue” Day.
- The FMHS Choir Department is hosting a karaoke night on Friday, November 11th. Soloists and groups are encouraged to sign up. The cost for registration is $5 for a soloist and $10 for a group. Students can register in the MPR during lunch or in the choir room until Wednesday, November 9th. Please contact Mr. Landon at email@example.com with questions.
- The end of the season volleyball banquet will be this Wednesday at 7:00 PM at the Elliot Test Kitchen in downtown Fort Madison. Please bring a snack to share. Drinks will be provided. If you still have your uniform you should bring it to turn in, as well. If you have questions please see Coach Bailey or contact Coach Stull.
- The end of the season football banquet will be on Sunday, November 6th at 6:00 PM in the FMHS MPR. For details regarding the banquet, please see the FB Banquet Letter.
- For any male wanting to participate in high school boy’s basketball this winter, there will be a meeting with Coach Wilson on Friday at 3:30 PM in the boy’s varsity locker room.
- For any female wanting to participate in high school girl’s basketball this winter, there will be a meeting on Thursday immediately after school in room 313. Practice schedules and expectations will be discussed. Practice will begin on Monday, November 7th in the gym at 3:30 PM. Physicals need to be turned in and on file with the activities department before you may practice. If you did not participate in a fall sport, you must also complete concussion testing with trainer Trevor Pezley in the trainer’s room. Please see Coach Bailey if you have any questions.
- Happy birthdays to Hunter Kelly and Mr. John McCannon.
- Mac and cheese or fish nuggets;
- Pea salad and/or pasta salad;
- Mandarin oranges and/or cherry crisp.
Word of the Day: Stalwart – adjective [stawl-wert]
- Firm, steadfast, or uncompromising. As in:
- Cubs fans are stalwarts of the organization, regardless of outcomes.
This Day in History (TDIH): 1948 – The Chicago Tribune jumps the gun and mistakenly declares New York Governor Thomas Dewey the winner of the presidential race. Harry S. Truman would win the election by 114 electoral votes.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): Harry S. Truman didn’t have a middle name, just a middle initial. The S honors his grandfathers – Solomon Young and Anderson Shipp Truman.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? The average lifespan of a major league baseball is five pitches.
Educational Technology: Thinking critically about media: