General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Costumes may be worn today. The dress code will apply during the school day and costumes must be appropriate in content. The exception to that rule will be during lunch. Students may wear appropriate costumes, masks, and hats during lunch only and a costume contest will be held to determine the winners of the contests. Judges of the contests will be Mr. Lamb, Mr. Mitchell, Ms. Kohl, and Sebastian Seifert. Winners of the costume contests will get a pizza lunch with the judges tomorrow.
- The Robotics team will be selling Halloween Howlers at lunch. For 50 cents you can send your friend a little candy and a Halloween joke. Howlers will be sent through lunch today.
- Key Club is sponsoring a Trick or Treat for UNICEF. Each TST has a Trick-or-Treat box. Bring in your spare change! The money goes to helping wipe out Neonatal Tetanus. A newborn dies every 11 minutes from tetanus. Nearly 100 million women in more than 20 countries need our help. Just $1.80 can protect a woman and her future newborns from this painful disease. Look for the orange Trick-or-Treat of UNICEF box in your TST. The TST with the most money will win a bag of Halloween candy. The contest will run through tomorrow.
- Thank you to the 213 students who have already voted in the Iowa Youth Straw Poll. It’s not too late to have your voice heard. The online ballot will be open until Friday at 3:30 PM. Currently there are only 13 votes separating the top two choices for president and 1 vote for senator of the state of Iowa. 51 votes separate the choices for US Representative. Yes, every vote does count!
- Iowa Central College will have a representative here during lunch on Wednesday. If you would like to learn more about the Tritons please stop by their table at lunch.
- Culver Stockton will have a representative here during lunch on tomorrow. If you would like to learn more about the wildcats please stop by their table at lunch.
- Happy birthdays to Sabrina McIntyre and Courtney Woodley from Saturday.
- Happy birthdays to Kimberlynn Bryant and Ashton Woolever from Sunday.
- Happy birthdays to Allison Bowen, Clayton Brecount, Jacob Coffman, Cameron Richardson, Alexis Schmidt, and Ms. Julie Benge.
- Chili w/crackers or grilled cheese;
- Carrots and celery and/or mixed veggies;
- Peach crisp and/or Mandarin oranges.
This Day in History (TDIH): 1864 – The US Congress admits Nevada as the 36th state.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): Nevada was the first state to ratify the 15th Amendment to the Constitution. The Amendment prohibits the federal and state governments from denying a citizen the right to vote based on that citizen’s “race, color, or previous condition of servitude”.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? FedEx CEO Fred Smith saved his company in the 1970s by gambling their last $5,000 in Las Vegas. He turned that 5k into $32k by playing blackjack. The extra income provided the CEO a few extra days, which he used to lure investors to his company.
Educational Technology: Building a website?