General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The Robotics team will be selling Halloween Howlers at lunch. For 50 cents you can send your friend a little candy and a Halloween joke. Howlers will be sent through Monday.
- Key Club is sponsoring a Trick or Treat for UNICEF. Each TST has a Trick-or-Treat box. Bring in your spare change! The money goes to helping wipe out Neonatal Tetanus. A newborn dies every 11 minutes from tetanus. Nearly 100 million women in more than 20 countries need our help. Just $1.80 can protect a woman and her future newborns from this painful disease. Look for the orange Trick-or-Treat of UNICEF box in your TST. The TST with the most money will win a bag of Halloween candy. The contest will run through November 1st.
- Thank you to the 199 students who have already voted in the Iowa Youth Straw Poll. It’s not too late to have your voice heard. The online ballot will be open until Friday at 3:30 PM. Currently there are only 15 votes separating the top two choices for president and one vote for senator of the state of Iowa. Yes, every vote does count!
- The Yearbook is in need of your help! There will be a page in the yearbook featuring student life, which will include what students did over their summer vacation. If you have any photos from your summer break please email them to email@example.com with a description of who is in the image and what is happening. We appreciate the help, the more photos the better! Photos must be appropriate and follow student conduct codes as established by the Fort Madison Board of Education and Fort Madison High School.
- What do General George Patton, Garth Brooks, Kurt Angle, and Mr. Doherty have in common? They are all former wrestlers. If you are interested in being a part of the tradition here in Fort Madison, report to Coach Smith’s room today right after school to sign up. Any questions, see Coach Smith or Coach Doherty.
- Iowa Central College will have a representative here during lunch on Wednesday, November 2nd. If you would like to learn more about the Tritons please stop by their table at lunch.
- Culver Stockton will have a representative here during lunch on Monday, October 31st. If you would like to learn more about the wildcats please stop by their table at lunch.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Old Settlers organization is looking for volunteers to help pass out drinks, hot dogs and candy on Monday, October 31st during Trick or Treating. Please come see Mrs. Harter in the guidance office if you are interested in helping with this event.
- The FMMS Carnival Committee is looking for interested individuals to help them with their carnival tomorrow from 4:00 to 9:00 pm at FMMS. If interested, please contact Carol Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Happy birthdays to Noah Fedler and Katlyn Moyers.
- Nachos or cheesy breadstick;
- Green beans and/or peas and carrots;
- Pineapple and/or peaches.
This Day in History (TDIH): 1904 – The New York City subway opens for travel. While the subway is not the oldest in the world or even the United States, it is by far the the largest system in operation at the time.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): There is a little known, but fairly accurate economic principle known as the New York Pizza Connection, which states that the average slice of pizza matches the cost of a ride on the subway. When one increases, the other tends to follow.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? A Boeing 747’s wingspan is longer than the Wright brother’s first flight.
Educational Technology: Command shortcuts: