General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- If you are a college-bound student and interested in attending tutoring sessions at the Elliott Test Kitchen, those sessions occur every Tuesday from 6:00-8:00 PM. You must register to take part in the sessions. Please visit their website at tkef.org if you are interested or email Mr. Troxel at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Juniors – if you are interested in helping with prom you are invited to attend a planning meeting next tomorrow at 6:00 PM in the MPR
- Now is the time to look at your Trimester 2 schedule. If you anticipate you’ll need a schedule change or wish to speak to your guidance counselor about your schedule please see Ms. Harter in the guidance office to make an appointment. All schedule changes must be completed by November 15th.
- The national elections are on November 8th. The election process is critical for students of the high school age because it will determine the next four years for the United States, a time in which you will graduate from high school. FMHS has been selected to participate in the Iowa Youth Straw Poll. Mr. Ehlers has created an online ballot that will be used to submit for the youth straw poll. The process should take just a few minutes to complete. Balloting will close on Friday, October 28th. Thank you in advance for becoming an informed citizen and participatory member of our society.
- Culver Stockton will have a representative her during lunch on Monday, October 31st. If you would like to learn more about the wildcats please stop by their table at lunch.
- Upper Iowa University will have a representative here during lunch on Thursday. If you would like to learn more about the Peacocks please stop by their table at lunch.
- The University of Northern Iowa will have a representative here during lunch tomorrow. If you would like to learn more about UNI please stop by their table at lunch.
- Indian Hills Community College will be holding a showcase of their programs and activities on Thursday at IHCC. If you are a senior and interested in attending IHCC and would like to attend their showcase you will need to fill out a Student Request for Absence and use one of your college visit days to attend. If you are interested in seeing what majors will be highlighted, please stop by the guidance office.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Old Settlers organization is looking for volunteers to help pass out drinks, hot dogs and candy on Monday, October 31st during Trick or Treating. Please come see Mrs. Harter in the guidance office if you are interested in helping with this event.
- The FMMS Carnival Committee is looking for interested individuals to help them with their carnival on Friday from 4:00 to 9:00 pm at FMMS. If interested, please contact Carol Ross at email@example.com
- Happy birthday from Saturday to Alex Lauber.
- Happy birthdays from Sunday to Camila Almeida, Natalia Almeida, Alex Regan, Taylor Shannon, and Deanna Warner.
- Happy birthdays to Skylar Dunn and Sarah Macomber.
- Quesadilla or crispito;
- Refried beans and/or corn;
- Peaches and/or strawberries & bananas.
This Day in History (TDIH): 1901 – a 63-year old schoolteacher named Annie Edson Taylor becomes the first person to take the plunge over Niagara Falls in a barrel.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): 6,320,000 pounds of water flow over Niagara Falls every second, hitting the the base of the falls with over 5 million pounds of force.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? The line between the two numbers in a fraction is called the vinculum.
Educational Technology: A tip for social media and life, in general.