General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Juniors – if you are interested in helping with prom you are invited to attend a planning meeting next Thursday, October 25th at 6:00 PM in the MPR
- Now is the time to look at your Trimester 2 schedule. If you anticipate you’ll need a schedule change or wish to speak to your guidance counselor about your schedule please see Ms. Harter in the guidance office to make an appointment. All schedule changes must be completed by November 15th.
- The national elections are on November 8th. The election process is critical for students of the high school age because it will determine the next four years for the United States, a time in which you will graduate from high school. FMHS has been selected to participate in the Iowa Youth Straw Poll. Mr. Ehlers has created an online ballot that will be used to submit for the youth straw poll. The process should take just a few minutes to complete. Balloting will close on Friday, October 28th. Thank you in advance for becoming an informed citizen and participatory member of our society.
- The DMACC presentation scheduled for Friday in Ms. Weisinger’s room has unfortunately been cancelled.
- Upper Iowa University will have a representative here during lunch on Thursday, October 27th. If you would like to learn more about the Peacocks please stop by their table at lunch.
- The University of Northern Iowa will have a representative here during lunch on Tuesday, October 25th. If you would like to learn more about UNI please stop by their table at lunch.
- Indian Hills Community College will be holding a showcase of their programs and activities on Thursday, October 27th at IHCC. If you are a senior and interested in attending IHCC and would like to attend their showcase you will need to fill out a Student Request for Absence and use one of your college visit days to attend. If you are interested in seeing what majors will be highlighted, please stop by the guidance office.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Old Settlers organization is looking for volunteers to help pass out drinks, hot dogs and candy on Monday, October 31st during Trick or Treating. Please come see Mrs. Harter in the guidance office if you are interested in helping with this event.
- The FMMS Carnival Committee is looking for interested individuals to help them with their carnival on Friday, October 28th from 4:00 to 9:00 pm at FMMS. If interested, please contact Carol Ross at email@example.com
- Good luck to the cross country teams as they travel to Central College this afternoon in their attempt to qualify for the state meet. Run fast, Harriers!
- Happy birthdays to Grace Dodson, Quinton Ross, and Kylie Wrieden.
- Macaroni and cheese or shrimp shapes;
- Peas and/or corn;
- Strawberries and/or applesauce;
This Day in History (TDIH): 1803 – The Senate ratified the Louisiana Purchase. Purchased from France, the territory west of the Mississippi River doubled the land size of the United States.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): The Louisiana Purchase was negotiated by James Monroe and French foreign minister Robert Livingston. Neither had the constitutional authority to negotiate such a treaty and were simply sent to France to attempt to persuade Napoleon Bonaparte that he should sell the territory. Despite this overstep, the Senate nonetheless approved the treaty.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know (DYK)?