General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The national elections are on November 8th. The election process is critical for students of the high school age because it will determine the next four years for the United States, a time in which you will graduate from high school. FMHS has been selected to participate in the Iowa Youth Straw Poll. Mr. Ehlers has created an online ballot that will be used to submit for the youth straw poll. The process should take just a few minutes to complete. Balloting will close on Friday, October 28th. Thank you in advance for becoming an informed citizen and participatory member of our society.
- Photo retakes have been scheduled for Wednesday.
- The University of Northern Iowa will have a representative here during lunch on Tuesday, October 25th. If you would like to learn more about UNI please stop by their table at lunch.
- Indian Hills Community College will be holding a showcase of their programs and activities on Thursday, October 27th at IHCC. If you are a senior and interested in attending IHCC and would like to attend their showcase you will need to fill out a Student Request for Absence and use one of your college visit days to attend. If you are interested in seeing what majors will be highlighted, please stop by the guidance office.
- CaPri College will have a representative here during lunch on Wednesday. If you would like to learn more about CaPri College please stop by their table at lunch.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Old Settlers organization is looking for volunteers to help pass out drinks, hot dogs and candy on Monday, October 31st during Trick or Treating. Please come see Mrs. Harter in the guidance office if you are interested in helping with this event.
- The FMMS Carnival Committee is looking for interested individuals to help them with their carnival on Friday, October 28th from 4:00 to 9:00 pm at FMMS. If interested, please contact Carol Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Happy birthday to Sadie Smithburg.
- Mandarin chicken or pretzel w/ cheese;
- Oriental vegetables and/or celery sticks;
- Pineapples and/or mixed fruit.
This Day in History (TDIH): 1867 – The United States takes possession of Alaska after purchasing the territory for $7.2 million dollars, or less than two cents per acre.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): Despite Alaska being dubbed “barren” and “worthless” by citizens of the United States in 1867, the state accounts for 25% of America’s oil and over 50% of the nation’s seafood.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know (DYK)? The lint that collects in the bottom of your pockets has a name – gnurr.
Educational Technology: Are you a 21st century learner?