General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The national elections are on November 8th. The election process is critical for students of the high school age because it will determine the next four years for the United States, a time in which you will graduate from high school. FMHS has been selected to participate in the Iowa Youth Straw Poll. Mr. Ehlers has created an online ballot that will be used to submit for the youth straw poll. The process should take just a few minutes to complete. Balloting will close on Friday, October 28th. Thank you in advance for becoming an informed citizen and participatory member of our society.
- Photo retakes have been scheduled for Wednesday.
- Indian Hills Community College will be holding a showcase of their programs and activities on Thursday, October 27th at IHCC. If you are a senior and interested in attending IHCC and would like to attend their showcase you will need to fill out a Student Request for Absence and use one of your college visit days to attend. If you are interested in seeing what majors will be highlighted, please stop by the guidance office.
- CaPri College will have a representative here during lunch on Wednesday. If you would like to learn more about CaPri College please stop by their table at lunch.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Old Settlers organization is looking for volunteers to help pass out drinks, hot dogs and candy on Monday, October 31st during Trick or Treating. Please come see Mrs. Harter in the guidance office if you are interested in helping with this event.
- The FMMS Carnival Committee is looking for interested individuals to help them with their carnival on Friday, October 28th from 4:00 to 9:00 pm at FMMS. If interested, please contact Carol Ross at email@example.com
- Good luck to the JV football team as they travel to Keokuk tonight to take on the Chiefs.
- Happy birthdays to Jace Burgher and Thomas Wade from Saturday.
- Happy birthdays to Chance Butler, Sara Johnstun, and Javen Peterman from Sunday.
- Happy birthday to Tyler Wellman.
- BBQ rib sandwich or goulash;
- Green beans and/or glazed carrots;
- Applesauce and/or Mandarin oranges.
This Day in History (TDIH): 1989 – an earthquake measuring 7.1 on the Richter scale is witnessed on live television by millions of people watching the third game of the World Series between the San Francisco Giants and Oakland Athletics. The quake lasted 15 seconds, killed 63 people, and injured more than 3,000 others. More than 100,000 buildings were also damaged.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): The National Earthquake Information Center records an average of 20,000 earthquakes every year (about 50 per day) around the world. There are reported to be millions of other earthquakes that are too weak to be recorded. Southern California has about 10,000 earthquakes per year, the majority of which go unnoticed.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know (DYK)? There is a city called Rome on every continent on Earth.
Educational Technology: Quick facts about internet safety: