General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Attention Seniors – Mack Turner, Outreach Advisor from the Educational Opportunity Center, will be here to help you submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on Wednesday, October 5th, from 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM
at the Fort Madison High School library. If you are considering any type of post-secondary education or training, it is important to submit this application to see if you qualify for any grants, student loans, or work study.You will no longer be able to sign the FAFSA using your 4 digit PIN. Both the parent and the student will create a Federal Student Aid ID. This ID, consisting of a username and password, can be created a the following website: https://fsaid.ed.gov. If you are planning on attending the FAFSA workshop, you can create the FSA ID at the workshop or you can create a FSA ID before coming to the workshop. Please bring the username and password with you. You will also need to bring a copy of your parents and your 2015 federal and state income tax return and W2s. If you are not able to attend the workshop, and have questions regarding the FAFSA, please call Mack Turner at 319-208-5026 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org. The guidance office is also available to help with FAFSA questions.
- Photo retakes have been scheduled for Wednesday, October 19th.
- The library will be having the Scholastic Book Fair this week. It will run all week and we will be open for business during PT Conferences as well. Stop in and check out the selection. They will be raffling off a gift basket again this year. With every purchase, your name goes in the bucket for a chance to win. This is the library’s only fundraiser and they get 50% of the profits in books for the library. Last year, they got $800 to spend on books! Thanks for your support. Let’s surpass last year’s goal!
- All high school students are invited to join us at the Test Kitchen at 807 Avenue G on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 3:30 to 6:30. You will have the opportunity to get help with your school work, increase your academic skills, engage in competitive games, learn to cook delicious food, and enjoy a meal with your friends. You can sign up for any evening you would like to attend by going to the Test Kitchen website at www.tkef.org. Go to Programs — Elliott Test Kitchen — participant scheduling — calendar. The password is etk. You also can phone the Test Kitchen at 319-520-9052. We are looking forward to seeing you there!
- The next ACT Prep session will be held at the Test Kitchen at 807 Avenue G in Fort Madison starting October 18. Registration will be held that day from 4:00 – 6:00 pm. Classes led by Mr. Troxel will be held each Tuesday after that from 6:00 – 8:00 pm, leading up to the test on December 10. Dinner is served at 6:00, with class to follow. There is a $75 fee to attend the class which should be paid at registration. To sign up early or if you have questions, please call either the Test Kitchen at 319-250-9052 or Linda Litterer at 319-470-0171. We are looking forward to seeing you there!
- Parent/Teacher Conferences are Wednesday from 3:30 to 7:00 PM. Please encourage your parents to attend so we can get those grades up.
- The YMCA is looking to hire lifeguards and will be hosting a lifeguard certification class for anyone interested in becoming certified. If interested, please contact Justina Spears at (319) 372-2403.
- Drake University will have a representative here during A lunch next Tuesday, October 11th. If you would like to learn more about Drake University please stop by their table.
- Best of luck to the cross country teams as they travel to Centerville to run in the Centerville Invite this afternoon.
- Good luck to the volleyball teams as they take on Fairfield at home for senior night this evening.
- Happy birthday to Jonathan Smutzer
- BBQ pork sandwich or mini corn dogs;
- Celery sticks or glazed carrots;
- Mandarin oranges or pears.
This Day in History (TDIH): 1957 – The Soviet Union inaugurates the space age by launching Sputnik, the world’s first artificial satellite.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) hopes to have colonized Mars by the end of the 2030s.
Quote of the Day (QOTD):
Did You Know (DYK)? Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.
Digital Citizenship of The Day: Beware!