General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- There will be a financial aid night on Wednesday at 6:00 PM in the FMHS library for any junior or senior interested in learning about FAFSA and how you and your parents might pay for college.
- Attention college bound juniors – you may now sign up for the PSAT in the guidance office. Taking the PSAT qualifies you for the National Merit Scholarship and is great practice for the ACT or SAT. The test is $15 and will be administered on October 19th at 8:15 AM at FMHS. Please see Ms. Clark in guidance for details. Today is the deadline to register for this test.
- The Distinguished Young Women program is looking for senior females involved in school and/or community activities. They also seek those senior females who are outstanding in academics, leadership skills, athletics, or fine arts. This program helps you gain experience in public-speaking, interviewing and other life skills along with an opportunities to earn scholarships for college. For more information check out the flyer on the bulletin board across from the guidance office.
- There are currently openings for the Dual Certified Nursing Assistant class for trimester 2. These openings are for senior students only. Please see Ms. Clark in the guidance office for details.
- The FFA will be hosting a Greenhand Mixer and Parent Meeting tomorrow. Anyone interested in joining FFA should come join us for fun games. We will have a meeting after this in the Ag room. Anyone wanting to order Fort Madison FFA Apparel can order their items here.
- DECA will have a meeting this Thursday at 7:00 AM in room 205. All DECA members are encouraged to attend and find out the great things going on with DECA. Anyone interested in DECA or who have a question should see Ms. Weisinger.
- The Eagles Club is in need of volunteers to assist with the Montrose Fireworks Commission taco supper. The taco supper will be held on Tuesday, October 4th from 5:00-8:30 PM. Please email email@example.com with questions.
- The Program Director of the YMCA is looking for a few volunteers to help with youth programs throughout the year. The tasks could vary depending on the sport or activity. If interested, contact Justina Spear at (319) 372-2403, extension 2.
- If you are a senior and have a free block in your schedule and are looking to earn volunteer hours by mentoring elementary-aged children, Great River Are Youth Mentoring (formerly Big Brothers, Big Sisters) may be a good fit for you. If you are interested, please see Ms. Harter in guidance to obtain an application.
- Good luck to the varsity volleyball team as they take on Holy Trinity tonight at HTC.
- Best of luck to the JV volleyball team as they travel to the Burlington ND Invite.
- Good luck to the JV football team as they host West Burlington this evening.
- Happy birthday from Saturday to Elijah Barnes, Garry Lampe, Samantha Penrod, and Alexis Sommers.
- Happy birthday from Sunday to Dalton Hamelton, Justin Menke, and Emily Mitchell.
- Happy birthday to Hailey Reuther, Justin Richers, Aniah Ross, and Zachary Winkel.
- Soft or hard shell taco;
- Corn or celery sticks;
- Pears or applesauce.
This Day in History (TDIH): 1881- President James Garfield died of a gunshot wound inflicted by Charles Guiteau on July 2nd of that same year.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): James Garfield was one of three presidents in the year 1881. Garfield became the second when Rutherford Hayes relinquished the office to him. Chester Arthur became the third when Garfield died.
Fact of the Day II (FOTDII): President Garfield could write in Latin with one hand while writing in Greek with his other hand.
Quote of the Day (QOTD):
Digital Citizenship of The Day: Something to keep in mind when posting on social media:
Joke of the Day (JOTD):