General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- There will be a financial aid night on Wednesday, September 21st at 6:00 PM in the FMHS library for any junior or senior interested in learning about FAFSA and how you and your parents might pay for college.
- Attention college bound juniors – you may now sign up for the PSAT in the guidance office. Taking the PSAT qualifies you for the National Merit Scholarship and is great practice for the ACT or SAT. The test is $15 and will be administered on October 19th at 8:15 AM at FMHS. Please see Ms. Clark in guidance for details.
- This is a reminder for all you young men that are turning 18. As a young man in the United States you must register with the Selective Service System. You can register here. Stop by the guidance office if you need more information.
- The Distinguished Young Women program is looking for senior females involved in school and/or community activities. They also seek those senior females who are outstanding in academics, leadership skills, athletics, or fine arts. This program helps you gain experience in public-speaking, interviewing and other life skills along with an opportunities to earn scholarships for college. For more information check out the flyer on the bulletin board across from the guidance office.
- There are currently openings for the Dual Certified Nursing Assistant class for trimester 2. These openings are for senior students only. Please see Ms. Clark in the guidance office for details.
- The Eagles Club is in need of volunteers to assist with the Montrose Fireworks Commission taco supper. The taco supper will be held on Tuesday, October 4th from 5:00-8:30 PM. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- The Program Director of the YMCA is looking for a few volunteers to help with youth programs throughout the year. The tasks could vary depending on the sport or activity. If interested, contact Justina Spear at (319) 372-2403, extension 2.
- Best of luck to the football teams as they travel north to take on the West Burlington Falcons.
- Good luck to the marching band as they participate in the Marching Band Invite at FMHS tomorrow and then travel to Mt. Pleasant to do the same.
- Happy birthday to Hailey Gray and Hope Gray. They’re twins. That’s why they have the same birthday.
- Nachos or quesadilla;
- Refried beans or pea salad;
- Pineapples or mixed fruit.
This Day in History (TDIH): 1630 – the Massachusetts village of Shawmut changed its name to Boston.
Fact of the Day (FOTD): A deadly wave of molasses flooded the North End of Boston in 1919 after a storage tank holding 2 million gallons of the substance burst. The worst molasses-related accident in history killed 21 people and injured over 100 more.
Quote of the Day (QOTD): From Samuel Adams, a Boston native:
Digital Citizenship of The Day: